- Emeritus Professor of Norwich University of the Arts
- Ambassador for Cittadellarte
- Former University Pro Vice-Chancellor and a leading academic in creative arts education
- Senior manager with significant experience and proven track record in leading and developing specialist arts, design and media provision in the University sector
- Highly motivated achiever with demonstrable ability in engineering a positive learning community and curriculum for creative practice
- Work with national arts bodies on British Art Show and Arts Council Collections
- Work with private sector arts bodies
- Encouraging fundraising and benefactor giving
- Successful bid-writing
- Outstanding and inclusive manager who communicates vision and message clearly and effectively to diverse audiences
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills that foster and develop sustainable external partnerships with donors, creative industry and other University providers
- Significant human resources experience across a range of scenarios
- Exceptional problem-solving skills and ability to drive continuous improvement within the resource-intensive provision essential for arts and design
- Expertise and experience of working successfully with national arts bodies, collections, galleries and museums
- Experience of working at Board level in relation to academic quality, estates and finance and resource
- Excellent rapport with staff teams and student body
- Background in making, specialist education and critical thinking
- Experience of HE/arts and design policy and working with government agencies
- Invited member of Dept. of UK Government Business, Innovation and Skills Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) Group
Areas of Expertise
- Vision and academic leadership
- Strategic and operational experience gained through the ranks
- Personal and professional integrity
- Proven track record in managing people effectively
- Fund raising
- Success in building brand and reputation through high quality student experience
- Track record in bringing new educational products to market
- Expertise in admissions and recruitment
- Curriculum design and delivery
- International experience
- Understanding of assets, liabilities, fixed and flexible overheads
- Experience of risk management, mitigation and disaster recovery
- Understanding of the relationship between practice, critical reflection and theory
Emeritus Professor Norwich University of the Arts (2021 – )
Ambassador Cittadellarte/Fondazione Pistoletto, Biella, Italy (2020 – )
Pro Vice-Chancellor (Academic) Norwich University of the Arts (2012 – 2020)
Member of the University Strategic Management Group, involved in both the strategic and operational management of the University. Member of Senate and in attendance at Governing Board.
- Learning, Teaching and Quality
- Research (incl. Research Degrees)
- University Gallery and external exhibitions
- Student-Facing IT, technical workshops and studios
- Final Award Boards (UG and PG).
- Line reports included: Deans, Director of Research, Resources Manager, Careers Service and Librarian
Responsible for planning, development and delivery of the University’s academic delivery, alongside provision of workshops, Library, Careers, Erasmus, University Gallery and student experience across all its aspects.
Assistant Principal (Student Experience), Norwich University College of the Arts (Sep 2008 – Dec 2012) Responsible for planning, development and delivery of all academic provision workshops, Library, Careers, Erasmus, University Gallery and student experience in all its aspects. Chair of Research Degrees, Course Leaders’ Group, Learning and Teaching Committee, Exhibition Working Group, Final Award Boards (UG and PG). Line management responsibility for Deans, Resources Manager, Careers Advisor and Librarian. Oversight of University degree shows.
Director of Studies Norwich School of Art and Design (Oct 2006 – Aug 2007)
Responsibility for all undergraduate and postgraduate awards. Line manager for UG and PG Course Leaders.
Director of Undergraduate Studies Norwich School of Art and Design (Dec 2005 – Sep 2006)
Responsible for all undergraduate courses and undergraduate curriculum. Line manager for UG Course Leaders and Centre for Critical Studies.
Principal Lecturer Staffordshire University, School of Art and Design (Sep 1991 – Nov 2005)
Responsible for Fine Art and Foundation and Year 0 courses. Line manager for academics in painting sculpture and printmaking. Faculty of Art and Design Lead Admissions Tutor. Responsible for admissions to Literature, History, Sociology and Philosophy.
Guest Tutor Toyo Bijutsu Gakko, Tokyo, Japan For approximately 3 weeks each academic year (Sep 1990 – Jun 2001)
Senior Lecturer Fine Art Sculpture (0.5FTE) Staffordshire Polytechnic (Oct 1986 –May 1990)
Visiting Lecturer University of Central England Postgraduate School, Birmingham, England (1994-95).
Lecturing Hourly paid at a number of UK universities including Sheffield, Manchester, Staffordshire etc. (Sep 1987 – Jun 1988).
Operative: Printed Circuit Board design and production, Data Acquisition, Stockport, UK (1978 – 1980).
Pattern Cutter for G.W Bedford Fashions, Manchester, UK, (1976 –1978).
- Fine Art and Interior Architecture, British Higher School of Art & Design, Moscow, Russia (2011 – 2015).
- PhD external examiner, Anglia Ruskin University, Cambridge, UK (2007)
- School of Fine and Applied Arts, De Montfort University, Leicester, UK, (2003 – 2007).
Fine Art, University of Wolverhampton, UK, (1994 – 1998)
Co-supervisor: Part-time MPhil: 0 Part-time PhD: 1
Supervised to completion as Director of Studies: MPhil: 0 PhD: 6
Audit, Approval and Review Panels
Chair of numerous internal approval and periodic review panels at undergraduate and postgraduate levels (2005 – date).
Course Approval panel member for Fine Art, Photography and Interior Architecture, for the British Higher School of Art & Design, Moscow, Russia, (2009 – 2014).
Ongoing review of Access to HE Courses, Quality Assurance Agency panel member (2008 – date).
Panel member, Periodic Review, School of Art and Photography, University of Wales, Newport, Wales, (2006).
Foundation Degrees Approval event, panel member, Easton Colleges, Norfolk, UK, (2006).
Panel member, Periodic Review, School of Art, Music and Publishing, Oxford Brookes University, UK, (1996)
- Principal Fellows Network (Advance HE) (2017-0
- United Kingdom Arts and Design Institutions Association (UKADIA) (2013 – 2020).
- Council for Higher Education in Art and Design (CHEAD), (2012 – 2020).
- Group for Learning in Art and Design (GLAD)(2008 – date).
- National Arts Learning Network (NALN) (2005 – 2020)
- Pro Vice-Chancellor Network (2014-2020)
- National Association for Fine Art Education, (NAFAE) (1991 – 2005)
Higher Education Qualifications
Tom Bendhem Scholarship, Rijksakademie van Beeldende Kunsten, Amsterdam, Netherlands, (1986),
MA (RCA) Sculpture, Henry Moore Scholar, Royal College of Art, London, UK (1984 – 1986). Terminal degree (equivalent to MFA).
MA in Sculpture, Chelsea School of Art, London, UK, (1983 – 1984).
BA (Hons) Fine Art, 1st Class, Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester, UK, (1980 – 1983).